CLI/Cygwin (was: Re: [linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 6 12:02:24 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:37:57PM +0100, Gustaf Erikson (gustafe@home.se) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > There's also the interesting detail that _most_ GUI apps have some sort
> > of "undo" feature...but this functionality is virtually always
> > specifically missing from file manager apps.  CLIs typically offer this
> > option through the ability to recall and edit commands.
>
> Windows Explorer has this feature. Not defending it otherwise, though.
>
> I find a windows box w/o Cygwin really hard to work on, because I know
> enough Unix and shell to realise when a CLI is better than a GUI. I
> nearly only use Explorer to open Excel files.

You can launch 'em through Cygwin with an appropriate set of symlinks or
scripts in a /usr/local/bin directory.

I typically keep a script "launch" for backgrounding processes out of
job control:

#!/bin/bash
# launch arguments
exec $@ &

Peace.

   Office Despot: Office Depot embraces Microsoft XP logo requirement.
     http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit030.html
     http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8472