[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Jan 6 11:30:33 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:23:10PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Karsten M. Self">
>
> > A really handy GNOME or Gtk 1.x feature was the ability to (re)set menu
> > keybindings by highlighting the desired option, and hitting the key or
> > keycombo you wanted to associate with the action.
>
> This is still doable, but not available easily, because although it seemed
> handy, it was also the source of many screwups and difficult to understand
> problems. For instance, if you pressed the "r" key when hovering over the
> Delete menu item in Evolution, you'd bind "r" to Delete. This can be very
> dangerous, and for many users, they wouldn't even consider that the hard to
> discover press-key-while-hovering-over-menu thing would be the source of the
> problem.

I agree, and thank you for changing this.  It happened to me many times
accidentally, and even after I figured out what I did, it was a pain to
undo the mess.

Oh, and I just finally broke down and switched to using GNOME all the
time now, based on these obnoxious threads.  After a bit of tweaking,
everything is running wonderfully.  Very nice job, congratulations.

thanks,

greg k-h