[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME != you

Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Tue Jan 6 11:23:45 PST 2004

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Rather than "snapping" to a border, windows are impeded at a border.
> They'll sit at the border of a window/desktop edge, for a few pixels,
> while the mouse continues to move.  At the moment, I've got a setting
> of '30', meaning that, within 30 pixels of a border, moving a window
> doesn't happen.
>
> Since it's a freeze rather than a snap, this would appear to address
> your "pinball effect".

He may be talking about a case where there are two competing positions
that a window can snap to -- e.g., you're putting a window between two
others, and the space there is almost, but not quite, exactly a fit for
the new window.  I remember seeing this a time or two, and I can see
where it might be described as a pinball effect.  If that's what he's
talking about, impeding at the border would be as likely to cause the
problem as snapping to the border, but in the opposite case (when the
space is slightly small, rather than slightly large).

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>