Wallpaper resizing (was Re: [linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 6 11:06:59 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:34:44AM -0500, Chip Salzenberg (chip@pobox.com) wrote:
> According to Jeff Waugh:
> > I'm sure you can see why that kind of thing isn't super-high priority when
> > most developers are focusing on the complete environment.
>
> Well, gee, either Gnome supports other window managers or it doesn't.
> You don't get a pass for claiming an important feature then not
> supporting it.
>
> As it happens, I run gnome-setting-daemon; I find it does a fine job
> of stretching a jpeg onto my desktop, and of course Galeon and gaim
> use it.  If there is a stand-alone program that can do the stretching
> wallpaper thing well, I'd love to hear about it.  Most programs I've
> tried are quite bad at it (qiv, chameleon).

Might want to look at the internals of xscreensaver.  I've got an
archive of images I use for hacks using screen grabs (prefer not to
reveal my desktop when it's locked), which are resized very suitably,
even from quite small (25% or lesss of enlarges size) originals.

I've noticed this but haven't explored the mechanics.

There's also ImageMagick's resizing capabilities, which I've used,
though haven't reviewed results closely.

Peace.