[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME != you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 6 11:03:54 PST 2004

on Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:19:30AM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Matthew W. Miller">
>
> > On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 07:26:05PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > >on Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:49:20AM +1100, Jeff Waugh
> >
> > Well, I don't think the window manager can be blamed for weird people who
> > dislike pinball games, can it?
>
> It has been said that with this on by default, windows bounce too
> aggressively between the edges of the screen, edges of other windows, and so
> on. It produces a very jarring pinball-machine effect.

Try (for the purposes of revealing implementation) WMaker and modify the
"edge resistance" setting through WPrefs.

Rather than "snapping" to a border, windows are impeded at a border.
They'll sit at the border of a window/desktop edge, for a few pixels,
while the mouse continues to move.  At the moment, I've got a setting of
'30', meaning that, within 30 pixels of a border, moving a window
doesn't happen.

Since it's a freeze rather than a snap, this would appear to address
your "pinball effect".

Peace.

    Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
    - Princess Bride