[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Tue Jan 6 09:34:14 PST 2004

Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com> writes:

> If there is a stand-alone program that can do the stretching
> wallpaper thing well, I'd love to hear about it.

I, likewise, didn't succeed in finding anything that did decent
scaling when stretching a backdrop to fit the screen, so I used this
script to set my background appropriately with ROX:

#!/bin/sh
if [ $# != 0 ] ; then
        ln -sf "$1" ~/.background
fi
size=`xdpyinfo | grep dimensions: | awk '{print $2}'`
convert -size $size ~/.background -resize $size /tmp/$$.png
qiv -z /tmp/$$.png
rm -f /tmp/$$.png

With an argument (i.e. if you drop a file onto the icon bound to the
script) it'll set the background; with no arguments it'll set the
background using whatever file you used last time.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>