[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME != you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 09:19:30 PST 2004

<quote who="Matthew W. Miller">

> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 07:26:05PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >on Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:49:20AM +1100, Jeff Waugh
> >(jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> >> <quote who="Adam Sampson">
> >> I think it's the pinball-machine effect.
>
> Well, I don't think the window manager can be blamed for weird people who
> dislike pinball games, can it?

It has been said that with this on by default, windows bounce too
aggressively between the edges of the screen, edges of other windows, and so
on. It produces a very jarring pinball-machine effect.

If "always encourage windows to line themselves up against other windows and
the edge of the screen" was well-justified (in usability terms) to have as a
standard behaviour of the window manager, then I think some subtle magnetism
or <whatever-the-other-term-is> with a well-tested proximity value would be
appropriate. First it would have to be justified at all, then you'd have to
justify one of the methods (and there are flamewars in there, I'm sure), and
then you'd have to figure out the ideal proximity (which may be based on a
percentage of the horizontal/vertical lengths of the screen, rather than a
pixel value). That's how we handle these decisions. :-)

[ And really, I think this is justifiable. Whoever did it would need to
justify it to Havoc and pony up the code, or encourage someone else to do it
for them. ;-) ]

- Jeff

     "Free software never simply picks up its marbles and goes home." -
                            Jonathan Corbet, LWN