[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 08:49:47 PST 2004

<quote who="Chip Salzenberg">

> According to Jeff Waugh:
> > I'm sure you can see why that kind of thing isn't super-high priority
> > when most developers are focusing on the complete environment.
>
> Well, gee, either Gnome supports other window managers or it doesn't.  You
> don't get a pass for claiming an important feature then not supporting it.

Hold on, we were talking about using the GNOME Terminal outside GNOME. That
comes with some drawbacks. We said nothing about window managers, however,
because you brought it up, and as we have already covered in these threads:
You can use other window managers in GNOME. You can use metacity with other
environments. What you've said above is irrelevant to the mail you replied
to.

> As it happens, I run gnome-setting-daemon; I find it does a fine job of
> stretching a jpeg onto my desktop, and of course Galeon and gaim use it.
> If there is a stand-alone program that can do the stretching wallpaper
> thing well, I'd love to hear about it.  Most programs I've tried are quite
> bad at it (qiv, chameleon).

gnome-settings-daemon's job is to synchronise GConf, XSETTINGS and X
properties. Part of that involves desktop backgrounds.

- Jeff

    "It's like having someone say to you, 'You should get back together
     with your first wife. You guys were good together'. It's not that
                  simple." - David Byrne on Talking Heads