[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Chip Salzenberg chip@pobox.com
Tue Jan 6 08:44:05 PST 2004

According to Jeff Waugh:
> >   1. YOU are not the body of ALL GNOME CONTRIBUTORS.
> >   2. The GNOME CONTRIBUTORS are not the GNOME CODE.
> >   3. The GNOME CODE is not the GNOME PROJECT.
>
> Pay equally close attention: I am not talking about GNOME, it is not a
> personal statement that I have made.

Well, you're right.  I was too specific.  Let me rephrase:

You would do well to clearly separate contributors (as individuals)
from contribution (code) from projects (social organization).  Each of
these is discussed, criticized, and mocked separately, even though they
are related in interesting ways.

Sometimes the 'project' is software, sometimes the 'project' is "Free
Software" ... the principle remains: It is not you.  You are not them.
They are not what they do.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -               <chip@pobox.com>