[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 08:15:30 PST 2004

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> This is scary.  And a tremendous disincentive to even looking at gnome
> apps.  Why does gnome-terminal change by background?

It probably kicked of gnome-settings-daemon, which handles the GNOME
background changing stuff. Yeah, I'm not so fond of this either; I think we
need to do better checks to make sure we're actually in a GNOME session. But
I'm sure you can see why that kind of thing isn't super-high priority when
most developers are focusing on the complete environment.

> And why does gnome-terminal need all those config files & directories?

Because you're not just running gnome-terminal, you're running gconfd and
gnome-settings-daemon too. I know some people have an immediate revulsion to
that kind of thing, but the infrastructure is what makes GNOME tick. The
same goes for KDE. That is, for better or for worse, part of the bargain. I
totally understand people not liking this, but it is a 'necessary evil' for
them, and 'the way it is' (and used by everything else, too) for people
working in a GNOME environment.

- Jeff

                                   A: No.
                               - Nick Moffitt