[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 08:04:13 PST 2004

<quote who="Chip Salzenberg">

> According to Jeff Waugh:
> > Chip:
> > > People deserve respect.  (Mostly.)  Work must stand on its own.
> >
> > Right, then: People deserve respect and politeness for this kind of work.
>
> Either you missed my point (entirely possible) or you're implying that
> Gnome is good.  Which, *again*, assumes your conclusions.

I'm not talking about GNOME. I'm talking about investment in the commons by
Free Software developers, whatever their project may be, and what I think is
a fairly reasonable idea: We should be gracious, polite and respectful of
their contribution, even in disagreement.

I deal GNOME and other Free Software every day (as do you, I'm not saying
I'm any better or whatever) - the fact is that people who approach Free
Software contributors (sometimes with problems, be they simple bugs or
design flaws) with curiosity, friendliness, respect and politeness get
results, and have a positive effect on the software and people, regardless
of whether they choose to agree or disagree with descisions or philosophies
therein.

Am I implying or assuming that Free Software is good? Well, I'm not saying
that the software itself is always good (indeed, there is a large amount of
bad GUI software around, because it is very hard to get right), but do think
that the "act" of Free Software is good, and that deserves respect in and of
itself. I do *not* approach developers in other projects the way Karsten has
approached this conversation (and, less importantly, me), and I've been told
that this is not unusual behaviour for him. Makes me feel a bit better.

See, I don't think that approaching Free Software discussions like this
is... "elite". I have held linux-elitists in higher esteem than some of its
participants seem to live up to, and perhaps that's why I've been more open
to continuing the discussion (both hot and cold, for sure, and I have over
stepped the mark on occasions in this thread, I totally admit that).

> You're just not very good at this "reasoned argument" thing, are you?

Perhaps my approach to this idea is more idealistic than yours, but I do
think it is a reasonable point.

- Jeff

   "Everyone says they like Free Software - not everyone is ready to make
         the tough choices to make it happen." - Maciej Stachowiak