[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Chip Salzenberg chip@pobox.com
Tue Jan 6 07:20:17 PST 2004

According to Jeff Waugh:
> Chip:
> > I'd like to point out that we're all free software developers here (no
> > caps required) and you don't get a pass for putting the GPL on bad code.
>
> I don't think the unwarranted abuse has been appropriate.

You're assuming your conclusions.  By definition, if it were
unwarranted, then it would be inappropriate.

> It hasn't been polite disagreement, suggestion of error or
> diplomatic discussion, it has been flat out demonisation.

False to fact.  To demonize is "to represent as evil or diabolic" --
and that's from a dictionary, so that's not the hacker "evil", but the
consensus "evil".  No one has demonized Gnome in general, or even you
in particular.

You do seem prone to excessive exaggeration, Jeff, and I suggest you
learn to tone it down when in a small group discussion and/or when
trying to persuade skeptics.

> I think the work of my peers - whatever project they work on -
> deserves far more respect [...]

No!  No one's work deserves respect just because it *is* work, no
matter the license.  If I went and turned the length of I-80 on its
side, that would be a lot of work; would I deserve respect for it?
I would deserve derision ... and maybe some time in a padded room.

People deserve respect.  (Mostly.)  Work must stand on its own.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -               <chip@pobox.com>