[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

Peter Whysall peter@whysall.net
Tue Jan 6 06:41:38 PST 2004

on Wed, Jan 07, 2004, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Peter Whysall">
>
> > There's only a few things I'd change about Nautilus as it stands. The
> > ability to not draw the desktop is one - I'd be happy for that to be a
> > GConf key (AWOOGA EVUL ALERT!!!!!1)
>
> Heh. This is doable! :-)
>
>   /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop

Score! Didn't dig deeply enough. Although I'm probably going to Free
Software Hell for using (and approving of, and even recommending)
the EVUL OF GCONF!!!1

> > and the ability to recreate some of the "special" icons, like Start Here;
> > these icons are lifesavers for inexperienced users.
>
> In 2.5, the 'Computer' icon (which I hope is changed to Home) is an
> in-memory object, so you can't delete it (you can "turn it off" though).
> Start Here has always been a .desktop file, and really should die, because
> there are better ways of going around that. Like:
>
>   gnome-control-center --use-shell

Yep, that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of; you don't want to cut the
user off from the integrated control panel thinger, because that's what
some people really, really like. Mac users are already accustomed to the
idea that "control panels" are little applet type things; Windows users
like everything in one big window.

> > And, of course, I'd like it to be much, much faster. This is a wishlist
> > bug which can never, ever be fixed :-)
>
> Awww, 'course it can. It just requires work. Nautilus 2.5 is smegloads
> faster than 2.4 again, so it's always getting better.

I know - just yanking the ol' chain :)

P.
--
peter@whysall.net