[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 06:31:57 PST 2004

<quote who="Peter Whysall">

> There's only a few things I'd change about Nautilus as it stands. The
> ability to not draw the desktop is one - I'd be happy for that to be a
> GConf key (AWOOGA EVUL ALERT!!!!!1)

Heh. This is doable! :-)

  /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop

> and the ability to recreate some of the "special" icons, like Start Here;
> these icons are lifesavers for inexperienced users.

In 2.5, the 'Computer' icon (which I hope is changed to Home) is an
in-memory object, so you can't delete it (you can "turn it off" though).
Start Here has always been a .desktop file, and really should die, because
there are better ways of going around that. Like:

  gnome-control-center --use-shell

> And, of course, I'd like it to be much, much faster. This is a wishlist
> bug which can never, ever be fixed :-)

Awww, 'course it can. It just requires work. Nautilus 2.5 is smegloads
faster than 2.4 again, so it's always getting better.

- Jeff

     "It doesn't matter if it is good, it only matters if it rocks." -
                        Tenacious D, Rock Your Socks