[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

Peter Whysall peter@whysall.net
Tue Jan 6 03:21:46 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004, Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com) wrote:
> The first thing I got when GNOME started up was a segmentation fault
> from the Mixer applet. It offered to remove the applet for me and I
> agreed.
>
> Gnome is pretty responsive these days. At least on modern hardware...
> My dad runs it on his 500mhz K6-2 and it never felt nearly this smooth
> there.

Yeah, one of the things I'm happiest about in GNOME2 is the slickness of
it; it feels much smoother and "together" than GNOME1.x or KDE.

> Gnome runs a lot of daemons on my box. Two are specific to evolution
> and stay running after evolution exits. By the way, I tried Evolution
> briefly and didn't like it. The interface seems like a clone of
> Outlook's, and the techies and non-geeks alike that I know despise
> that program for it's horrid user interface.

Now that's odd; I despise Outlook not for its interface, (which is
actually not too bad) but because it's a terrible, terrible email
client. Evolution is an excellent mailer. The only things that let it
down for me are the small things; I'd like more control over threads
(collapse this thread, collapse all threads etc) and some hardcore HIG
lovin'. However, I believe that HIGification is a big part of the
upcoming 2.0 release.

> gconf truly scares me. Looking through it, I can't see how it differs
> significantly from the Windows Registry. I know someone will yell at
> me for saying that, but I'm not attempting to troll. I really disagree
> that such a system is a sane way to keep track of configurations, and
> I think that gconf will ultimately be detrimental to users.

It's way different.

1. The windows registry stores system settings. GConf doesn't.
2. The windows registry is stored in a number of binary files. GConf is
stored (at the moment) in XML files which (you're an elitist, right?)
you can hack on with XEmacs.
3. The windows registry does not contain any metadata. GConf does.
4. The windows registry can't use other backends. GConf can.

I'd say that the prominent similarity between GConf and the Registry is
that they're both tree-structured; however, a tree is a very flexible
structure that's appropriate for a lot of different applications.

P.
--
peter@whysall.net
The IWETHEY project: http://www.iwethey.org