[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 6 03:20:52 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:58:42PM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="tek">

> You are being combative.

You are being defensive.

<...>

> You are being combative.

You are being defensive.

<...>

> I'm sorry, but your attitude, combativeness and laissez-faire approach to
> testing GNOME are not helping your communication. Perhaps if you made more
> of an effort to install it correctly, and provide polite, constructive
> feedback (or even, shock-horror, asking questions about things!) I would be
> more responsive to your input.

You are being defensive.

Someone -- actually, several someones -- who wasn't particularly
inclined to try out GNOME did.  In part to give an honest evaluation of
how well the system does or doesn't suit their needs.

Telling someone who's at least making half an effort, and running into
problems, that they're being combative (that blame the user game again,
true to character as usual, Mr. Waugh), doesn't help.

Lose the 'tude.  Really.

<...>

> I think it's fairly reasonable to suggest that this is not GNOME's fault,
> nor is it Mandrake's fault. No distribution ships a default desktop like
> this. I asked Frederic Crozat, Mandrake's GNOME maintainer, what the best
> way of installing a working GNOME setup on Mandrake would be:
>
> 05:51 <@fcrozat> jdub: just make him type : urpmi gnome2 as root, it will
>                  install the Desktop release (almost)
> 05:52 <@fcrozat> then he logouts from KDE, and in its desktop manager
>                  (kdm/gdm/mdkdm), he just needs to choose GNOME..
> 05:52 <@jdub> will it do all the right things to set it up?
> 05:54 <@fcrozat> jdub: yes, there is nothing to setup :)

Now this (above) _is_ useful.

I don't know how Mandrake's set up these days, but under Debian, it's
trivial to extract a list of package names necessary/sufficient to
install a given set of software (in the case where more than one package
is needed, e.g.:  GNOME).  If the above IRC snippet isn't sufficient,
then providing tek with a known good Mandrake install manifest would be
useful.

I see the same question frequently enough on the #debian IRC channel,
am told "gnome" or "gnome-desktop-environment" are the usual suspects.

Peace.

    It is kinda awkward to have this "vote stuffing" feature.
    - Diebold Electronic Voting Machine memos.
      http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0309/S00106.htm