[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Tue Jan 6 03:17:33 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:01:36PM +1100, Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > Dude, this is open source. If there really is that big a problem with
> > Gnome, then it will just go away, having looked up one day and discovered
> > that it has no users. If you're wrong on the other hand, then in 10 years
> > Gnome will be considered the ants pants, and Google users will be free to
> > see how wrong you were.
>
> The IMO false assumption here is that free software is now what it was
> five or ten years ago:  mostly the purvue of hobbyists and techies.
>
> It's not.  It's a multi-billion-dollar industry.

Yes, but surely like all industries, market forces will win out in the
end. People will vote with their feet and not use what sucks -- that's why
Microsoft is so worried now, because they're running out of friends.

(In my personal opinion, and I'm not interested in debating it, one of the
coolest things to happen in the last few years is watching my friends
_stop_ evangelizing open source. People come to them now, because they
are actively seeking their own alternative to MS. The tables are
turning...)

If Gnome is as bad as people say, then market forces will squish it. If
you don't want that to happen, then submit patches, or at the very least
submit bug reports to the formal process.

Jeff might be publically visible, but he's not the entire Gnome project.
Perhaps he is wrong, and perhaps you're right. I'm sure bug reports are
treated on their merits. Otherwise the project _should_ die.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,