[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 6 03:06:43 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:01:36PM +1100, Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Dude, this is open source. If there really is that big a problem with
> Gnome, then it will just go away, having looked up one day and discovered
> that it has no users. If you're wrong on the other hand, then in 10 years
> Gnome will be considered the ants pants, and Google users will be free to
> see how wrong you were.

The IMO false assumption here is that free software is now what it was
five or ten years ago:  mostly the purvue of hobbyists and techies.

It's not.  It's a multi-billion-dollar industry.  All the big names in
tech are involved (some are for us, some are agin' us).  There's
knock-down, drag-out fights, and there's going to be more.  We're well
down in the low single digits on Microsoft's radar, and getting lower.
It's the Third Year of GNU/Linux On the Desktop, and maybe this will be
_The_ year...

Point being that there are a lot of fingers in the pie.  Some benign,
some not so.  I'm not saying there's a huge conspiracy (and I'm not
saying there isn't).  But this isn't the game it was five years ago.  So
when I see things headed in a direction I'm not particularly pleased
with, and I see direct negative affects of same on _my_ desktop, I'm
going to take note.  Before it's too late.

Peace.

   Remember Ed Curry!  http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/