[linux-elitists] gnome, trial by fire

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Jan 6 02:58:42 PST 2004

<quote who="tek">

> boot into gnome and i have a lump of icons on my desktop, cant make one
> out from the other. No menu bar on the panel either. just my wallpaper
> and a lump of icons. wow not what i was expecting but ill try to keep up
> the chin and head on forward.
>
> simple? sure is, its simply a mess. logic would dictate alternate
> clicking on the desktop you would hopefully find something to align
> icons or at least unstack the 10+ that are piled on top of each other.

I've used GNOME on Mandrake before, and it is very well set up. Perhaps some
packages were missed, or things left uninitialised? This is certainly not
representative of Mandrake's excellent work on GNOME, nor what GNOME does
straight out of tarballs, so I'm inclined to believe that there is another
problem here.

> question for ya? if its designed for joe sixpack why am i having to set
> it up? perhaps its cause i installed it after the fact? mandrake hates
> gnome? hmmm.ok, whatever.

No, Mandrake do great work on GNOME, and their GNOME setup is really sweet.
I can put you in touch with the Mandrake GNOME maintainer if you'd like to
find out what has happened here.

>  So dragging out all of the icons from the rats nest of a pile a find
> one called gnome control center, clicking on it i have a nice looking
> control panelish windows. looks good so far right?  so being a
> propellerhead i dive right into the
> icon for advanced, lets see what awaits us.i have six more icons, with
> another one again called advanced? wow, is this one twice as advanced as
> the first one? nope, its my first bug report!
>
> see this system has every browser loaded on it, yes even good ole
> internet exploder but gnome cant figure out which to use so instead of
> asking me which i get an error message telling me to set it up.

It sounds like some of the GNOME menu integration stuff that Mandrake use
was not installed or initialised correctly. Again, this is not
representative of GNOME or Mandrake defaults.

>  hey skippy, survey says if its supposed to be simple your supposed to
> open the page where it allows me to set it up.
>
> just a clue for ya.

You are being combative.

> taking a screenshot of each of these leads me to my next bug, every
> child window opens up its window hanging its  buttons below the bottom
> of the screen so every popup window has to be dragged back up. yeah!
> another bug and i havent even got five minutes in yet.
>
> ya know im not really feeling this (insert BullShit about usability
> studies showing we get it and we are doing it right line) havoc
> pennington would not be a gnome user from what im seeing.this is simply
> broken behavior dude, call it work in progress or whatever you want.

You are being combative.

> so ill spend the rest of the night configuring something that should be
> as usable out of the box as every other WM and ill use again tomorrow
> till im ready to shoot something or someone then ill remove it again and
> try it out in another release or two down the road.

I think it's fairly reasonable to suggest that this is not GNOME's fault,
nor is it Mandrake's fault. No distribution ships a default desktop like
this. I asked Frederic Crozat, Mandrake's GNOME maintainer, what the best
way of installing a working GNOME setup on Mandrake would be:

05:51 <@fcrozat> jdub: just make him type : urpmi gnome2 as root, it will
                 install the Desktop release (almost)
05:52 <@fcrozat> then he logouts from KDE, and in its desktop manager
                 (kdm/gdm/mdkdm), he just needs to choose GNOME..
05:52 <@jdub> will it do all the right things to set it up?
05:54 <@fcrozat> jdub: yes, there is nothing to setup :)

So, I think what you described as "glancing through  the list i select
enough to get gnome up and running and im notified of everything that is
coming along for the ride" was not the appropriate way to install GNOME on
Mandrake 9.2. As such, problems should be expected.

I'm sorry, but your attitude, combativeness and laissez-faire approach to
testing GNOME are not helping your communication. Perhaps if you made more
of an effort to install it correctly, and provide polite, constructive
feedback (or even, shock-horror, asking questions about things!) I would be
more responsive to your input.

- Jeff

   "Boys will be boys, hackers will be hackers, geeks will be geeks, and
     cyberpunks will always just be ravers with Macintoshes." - Monkey
                            Master, Crackmonkey