WMaker as a golden mean (was Re: [linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Jan 5 22:37:25 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> Sorry, pushing the panel to the side, in a vertical orientation is not a
> great idea, the various text widgets like clock applet, weather temp, etc,
> don't deal well with it at all.

Yep, those are already in bugzilla, and ought to be fixed.

> If you've added an "applications/actions" menu item, the resultant
> vertical panel takes up about 20% of my screenwidth.

Add a 'Main Menu' icon instead of using the menu bar applet.

> GNOME panel is geared toward a horizontal layout. It doesn't work well
> vertically at the moment.

Hmm, there are a couple of annoying bugs, but in many cases it works well.

> Further, it's really easy to add an item to the dock, just drag the icon
> there. That doesn't seem to work with the panel, you have to navigate
> through the menus. With the dock, if you no longer want the icon there,
> just drag it away.

Yeah, and this is an area of interest of mine. We have some execution model
problems that OS X (and WindowMaker) deal with differently, although I'm not
sure we'd duplicate their approach. I'm not happy that we're still working
with the main menu concept. Although it suits Windows refugees, and was a
running assumption of the time (everyone did it, including Classic Mac OS,
Windows, etc), it has caused lots and lots of problems (see the shared menu
spec on freedesktop.org), and there are other models we could work with
while still providing user interface parity with other systems (for people
who need their main menu or feel completely lost).

> So far, I like the URI handling in GNOME terminal, and some of the panels
> functions are nice. But so far, it hasn't convinced me to stick around
> after the tryout. We'll see, there's still most of a week before I decide
> to go back to WindowMaker or not.

It's nice to keep hearing about your problems with it and helping out or
explaining where I can. :-)

- Jeff

     "Old timers will tell you what a pain unstable was during the new
        testament transition." - Jon Corbet on Debian's KJV packages