WMaker as a golden mean (was Re: [linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you)

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Mon Jan 5 22:27:16 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:55:29PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> You are reminding me of too many things I am missing while I try GNOME
>> out.
>
>(Can't do workspace-specific, but perhaps you should check out drawers on
>the panel. Plus, you can move the panel around and stop it from using the
>full edge of the screen, so you can make it a biiiiiit more like the dock
>and clip.)

Sorry, pushing the panel to the side, in a vertical orientation is not a
great idea, the various text widgets like clock applet, weather temp,
etc, don't deal well with it at all. If you've added an
"applications/actions" menu item, the resultant vertical panel takes up
about 20% of my screenwidth.

GNOME panel is geared toward a horizontal layout. It doesn't work well
vertically at the moment.

Further, it's really easy to add an item to the dock, just drag the icon
there. That doesn't seem to work with the panel, you have to navigate
through the menus. With the dock, if you no longer want the icon there,
just drag it away.

So far, I like the URI handling in GNOME terminal, and some of the
panels functions are nice. But so far, it hasn't convinced me to stick
around after the tryout. We'll see, there's still most of a week before
I decide to go back to WindowMaker or not.

If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.