[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Jan 5 21:27:07 PST 2004

<quote who="Karsten M. Self">

> But look at your own commentary here and through the thread.  You're not
> taking the criticism as read.  You're berating the user.

You're not a user, nitwit.

> > > GUI has its place.  So does CLI.  Neither's going to replace the
> > > other.
> >
> > That's ABSOLUTELY TRUE. And the amazing thing is, that was my ENTIRE
> > POINT about the interactions above - those operations were more relevant
> > to, and doable from, a command line. Sheesh.
>
> And for your target market?

As describe previously, the interactions were the kinds of things more
likely to happen and/or be needed when using a shell. You're missing the
point so you can go on the offensive.

> If you're aiming at a user who's never seen, let alone has NFC how to use,
> a shell, why don't you build your GUI to facilitate the task at hand, and
> allow her to rename files without having to remember novella essays which
> have been overwritten by your chosen dialog?

"your chosen dialog"? There was no dialogue involved, Karsten. You are not
listening, you are not attempting to be informed about the argument, you are
merely attempting to attack.

- Jeff

   "Driving Miss Daisy. Best film of 1989. So said the academy. What does
                        that tell you?" - Spike Lee