[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 5 21:16:28 PST 2004

on Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:08:23PM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Karsten M. Self">

> > > Surely your interaction model with these kinds of files is terminal-centric
> > > to start with?
> >
> > Accuse the user.  True to character.
>
> Nooooo, gather more relevant information from the user. Stop being such a
> tool, Karsten.

As a friend reminds me periodically:  a true gentleman is never
unintentionally rude.

I'm doing this for effect, as I really hope you can notice.  And not
half enjoying it, I'll add.

But look at your own commentary here and through the thread.  You're not
taking the criticism as read.  You're berating the user.

Change your attitude, Waugh.  That's a friendly suggestion.

> > > Can you see that these kinds of interactions are not the sorts of things
> > > we'd optimise for, particularly in the file manager?
> >
> > Pardon?  Parsing error.
> >
> > > The file manager is not there to fully replace what you do in a shell.
> >
> > "Useable file renaming is not a supported feature of the GNOME file
> > manager".  Interesting.
>
> ^ This shows that you missed the point about understanding the purpose and
> goals of the interaction.
>
> > GUI has its place.  So does CLI.  Neither's going to replace the other.
>
> That's ABSOLUTELY TRUE. And the amazing thing is, that was my ENTIRE POINT
> about the interactions above - those operations were more relevant to, and
> doable from, a command line. Sheesh.

And for your target market?

If you're aiming at a user who's never seen, let alone has NFC how to
use, a shell, why don't you build your GUI to facilitate the task at
hand, and allow her to rename files without having to remember novella
essays which have been overwritten by your chosen dialog?

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: Putting the "con" in conservatism