[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 5 21:12:19 PST 2004

on Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:39:41AM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Chip Salzenberg">
>
> > I want F12 to bring up a menu, dammit, no matter what application is
> > currently running.  F12-t spawns a new aterm, always.  Gnome 1 didn't let
> > me do that, nor does KDE, as far as I can tell.  I'd ask about Gnome 2 but
> > for DYOFH.
>
> I'm happy to oblige. Alt-F1 brings up the Applications menu. Alt-F2 brings
> up the Run menu. You can change both of these in the Keyboard Shortcuts
> preference dialogue.

A really handy GNOME or Gtk 1.x feature was the ability to (re)set menu
keybindings by highlighting the desired option, and hitting the key or
keycombo you wanted to associate with the action.

As WMaker binds F11 & F12 to the Root Window (apps) and Window List
menus respectively , this was a convenient way to rebind Galeon's full
screen view (to <shift><F11> in my case).

> (You'd be surprised by some of the stuff you can do in there, given
> all the wailing and gnashing of teeth going on.)

Where WMaker wins IMO is in its menu configuration dialog, which allows
setting keybindings for a given application in the menu dialog itself.

Not particularly helpful when working with Debian's menu system, as
these menus are provided by hooks and aren't directly manipulable.  But
I find I prefer specifying a top-level set of menus and commands,
including my own preferred apps, then hooking in the Debian menus
beneath this.

> You can assign a key combo to run a terminal by using gconf-editor

Puke.

Note that even Microsoft maintained, lying through its teeth for a full
decade, that users would never have to use the Registry.  That's another
strike against it:  usability features stink, but it ends up being the
configuration tool of last, and very often, only, resort.

> The worst abstract whining is judgement on hearsay. People will rant
> about how we've ruthlessly taken all their favourite options out, but
> when they actually use it... shock horror... it "just works" and they
> don't have to expend effort on it.

It's a long walk between "it just works out of the box" and "take it or
leave it".  I'm hearing the latter persistantly from you, Waugh.

> But the funniest one - and l-e loves it - is "because you don't think
> hackers or traditional Free Software users are your 'target market', GNOME
> is therefore totally unusable for them".

No.

It's the "because hackers and traditional FS users aren't your target
market, you ignore, berate, and abuse us.

Peace.

   Reading is a right, not a feature
     -- Kathryn Myronuk                           http://www.freesklyarov.org