[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 5 20:50:37 PST 2004

on Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:49:42PM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
> > I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I tried a couple of things,
> > but none worked. It was a deal breaker frankly.
>
> Heh. Ah, so all those options that we're comfortable putting in the Terminal
> because it's going to be used by power users... confused you? Ah ha ha. Ha.
> Ahem.

Pride in designing apps sufficiently confusingly organized as to confuse
skilled, verteran 'Nix hands *isn't* among the indulgences I'd be
taking, Mr. Waugh.

It's not the feature count.  It's feature appropriateness, labeling, and
placement.

Case in hand.  Mozilla vs. Galeon, enable/disable Javascript.

Mozilla:

    Tools => .... Erm.  Wrong menu.

    File => ...  Erm.  Wrong menu.

    View => ... Erm.  Wrong menu.

    Edit (WTF is "Edit" doing on a non-editable resource like a remote
    document viewing application?)
     => Preferences => Navigator ... Erm.  Wrong menu.
       => Privacy & Security ... Erm.  Wrong menu.
       => Advance => Scripts & Windows => Enable Javascript for...

    So.  Five false starts.  Four levels of controls to reach setting.

Galeon 1.2.5:

    Settings => Allow Javascript.

Found it the first time.  And the menu's a tear-off if you need to
togggle settings repeatedly.  Note that the same menu offers toggles for
own fonts, own colors, allow Java, allow Javascript, allow popups, and
work offline.  As well as multilevel selections for image loading, image
animation, and proxy configuration.  All accessible.  And reasonably
clear to the exerienced web surfer.

This is typical of what sold me on Galeon at release 0.10, despite bugs
and crashes.  It's _intelligently_ designed.  It provides (almost) all
the tools I need.  It's hellaciously easier to navigate and set controls
than, say, MSIE, sorry piece of neglected tawdrieness that it is.
Little of Galeon is "original", other than its overall composition --
but it steals from the best, and steals well.

This discussion is a rehash of _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance_.  What is Quality?  It's not widget count, Mr. Waugh.  Not
hardly.

    |  This space provided for Nick Moffitt's non sequitur,     |
    |  witless remark.                                          |

> The GNOME Terminal has profiles rather than a single set of preferences (as
> we often log into different machines and want different appearance or
> behaviour because terminal emulation is so lovingly broken all over the
> place) so you just need to "Edit Current Profile..." and click off "Show
> menubar by default in new terminals" on the first page.

Profiles are useful things.  Ordered groupings of features or functions.
Particularly if clustered into, say, sets of keybindings (CUI, readline,
vi, WP51, ...)

Peace.

    We need a miracle, it's very important.
    - Princess Bride