[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 5 19:37:20 PST 2004

on Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:48:59PM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Jim Richardson">

> > When I fired up GNOME (from the greeter) it started things off by
> > creating 3 diff .dirs, .gnome, .gnome2 and .gnome-private. Why?
>
> This is mostly due to an unfortunate mistake during 2.0, when everyone was
> oh so keen to add *2 to module names, config files, etc., etc., etc. But
> hey, they're hidden, and most people won't go looking for them. I'd love to
> clean this up, but it is an exposed interface now.

There's a utility to providing explicit versioning between major
revisions of software, and a *long* tradition of this, as in decades, in
both proprietary and free software worlds.

Specifically:  I'd like to be able to install two major versions of
certain programs.  Galeon comes to mind.  But the major rev conflicts
with the my preferred release (1.2.5).

While I'd agree that versioning applications to the GNOME release might
not be optimal (though you could argue both ways), versioning major revs
of apps themselves can be quite useful.  Particularly in environments in
which both revs must be supported.

I'm not familiar enough with the GNOME-specific discussion to know if
this is applicable here, but $0.02 (at $1.27/EU).

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: Making the world a better place, one country at a time.