[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 5 19:26:05 PST 2004

on Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:49:20AM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Adam Sampson">

> > > I think it would be pretty unkind to have window-snapping on by
> > > default,
> >
> > Why's that? It seems to me like a usability plus -- having things
> > lined up is good, and things like Nautilus automatically line up icons
> > by default, so what's wrong with having the window manager line up
> > windows by default?
>
> I think it's the pinball-machine effect. Imagine if there was an audible
> "bonk!" every time the window snapped. That's how some people perceive
> effects like that.

I think it's the personal preferences thing.

My WM (wmaker) snaps windows when they're within a definable distance of
a boundary (other windows, edges of screen).  I can enable or disable
the behavior.  And I find it useful.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/