[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Mon Jan 5 19:25:03 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:21:29PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> For bulk renames or operations, the trick of generating a command,
> _then_ executing it after double-checking that it does what's intended,
> is common.  Rick Moen's publicized one such trick -- you generate code,
> then pipe it through 'bash' when it's well-formed.

I know this is a little OT, but I was delighted to discover "rename"
which comes packaged with perl (at least in Debian). E.g.:

rename -n 's/^(\d)(.*).ogg$/$2$1.ogg/' *.ogg

(switch around leading numbers and text in filenames for a batch of ogg
files)

And if you want to see what it's going to do first, just add -n.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam