[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Jan 5 11:15:02 PST 2004

begin  Jim Richardson  quotation:
> I haven't yet found a font/colour combo I like as much as the rxvt
> setups I had, but am still tinkering.

I use tinted transparency on an image of a NYC subway switch.  Here's
a screenshot of one of my few non-maximized workspaces:

	http://zork.net/~nick/pix/font-etc.png

	(yes, that's the homeland security threat level monitor on my
	irssi status bar, and yes it's intended ironically.)

The color combo is just the brightest non-white color in the standard
linux console pallete, and I used Bitstream Vera Mono.  the width was
shrunk per a tip from Ted T'so, using this ~/.fonts.conf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file to configure system font access -->
<fontconfig>
  <match target="font">
    <test qual="all" name="rgba">
      <const>unknown</const>
    </test>
  </match>
  <match target="font">
    <test qual="any" name="family">
      <string>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</string>
    </test>
    <test qual="all" name="aspect">
      <double>0.0</double>
    </test>
  </match>
</fontconfig>

This basically shrinks it to 80% width, which makes it about the right
aspect ratio for the sort of things you used to use fixed for.  Of
course, it helps that I have an LCD so that I can use subpixel
rendering.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end