[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Mon Jan 5 10:01:13 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:58:26AM -0800, David Nusinow wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:42:14AM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
>> GNOME terminal has some nice features, I like the menu bar, just enough
>> there to keep it useful, and I can make it go away if I want to.
>
>After spending the last month using Gnome as an experiment, I've found
>that I can't live without gnome-terminal anymore despite its speed. The
>killer feature for me is the automatic URL selection stuff, which is a
>godsend in a quickly scrolling IRC channel, and a nice bonus when I'm
>working normally. I like having the menu there too, and the tabs are
>handy. If there was another terminal that had the URL selection
>feature, I'd consider giving up gnome-terminal, but as it is I'm
>addicted now.

Konsole has a similar feature in conjunction with klipper, but it's less
(badabing) intuitive as you have to drag your mouse over to the klipper
to select the option (or scroll with the arrow keys) which isn't as nice
as the popup menu from GNOME terminal.

I am pleased that I have not had problems with keybindings with a few
exceptions, and although it was annoying, I recoded the apps in question
to use keybindings that didn't confuse GNOME terminal.

I haven't yet found a font/colour combo I like as much as the rxvt
setups I had, but am still tinkering.

Orwell and Roddenberry weren't just writers, they were prophets.