[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Jan 5 10:01:35 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> >>I have tried Pan in the past, and while it's about my favourite GUI
> >>newsreader, it's a far cry from SLRN for me, so I'll be sticking with
> >>SLRN. (to make it clear, I have tried Pan recently, I am not basing it
> >>on 12+ months ago)
> >
> >Pan is not really regarded as a 'GNOME' app. Not in spirit.
>
> Sorry, didn't want to start an ideological conflict :)  Pan is the
> newsreader I associate with GNOME, is there another one I should be
> aware of?

It's not ideological - Pan doesn't use GNOME libraries (which isn't really a
big issue these days, GNOME is moving away from things like libgnomeui and
libbonoboui too), and it is not designed with GNOME standards, the HIG, and
so on in mind. It is designed to be an advanced clone of an old Amiga NNTP
client, I believe.

I thought slrn was the best terminal client? :-) Evolution actually has some
old NNTP code in it, which a few people are prodding right now to get it
going properly. That may be a good option in the future.

On a totally separate tangent, gnome-vfs actually has NNTP support, which is
entirely crackful and scary. But (and I think this still works), if you go
to an nntp:// url in Nautilus, it will clag all the binaries together and
offer them up just like a normal folder of images (or whatever, but usually
images, right boys?).

Um, yeah. ;-)

- Jeff

   For a list of reasons why technology has failed to improve our lives,
                              please press 3.