[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Jan 5 09:03:04 PST 2004

begin  Jim Richardson  quotation:
> GNOME terminal has some nice features, I like the menu bar, just
> enough there to keep it useful, and I can make it go away if I want
> to.

	I usually use Ctrl-Shift-M to bring it back when I need it,
but I wish there were a way to keep it from popping up when I do a
Ctrl-Shift-N to spawn a new term.

> (as an aside, with sawfish, I can turn off the border decorations,
> which is really nice for some of the console apps I use. )

	Go to preferences, then keyboard shortcuts.  I have M-C-a
mapped to fullscreen toggle, which is the keybinding I used to have
under The Village.  I tend to keep fullscreen xterms mapped on a grid
of workspaces, and I use vi keys modified with M-C to move around on
the grid.  Works just like the village did, minus the diagonal nethack
movements.

> I have tried Pan in the past, and while it's about my favourite GUI
> newsreader, it's a far cry from SLRN for me, so I'll be sticking
> with SLRN. (to make it clear, I have tried Pan recently, I am not
> basing it on 12+ months ago)

	Switching the subject, does anybody know what the deal is with
mutt and nntp?  Mutt has already managed to incorporate all of slrn's
OTHER features.  What gives?

> Evolution is an okay app, lots of interesting features, now if only
> it did mail well :) Again, for me, a console app, Mutt in this case,
> wins out. Evolution might work if I had a lot of Imap mailboxes I
> had to deal with, but fetchmail +mutt do such a good job, that it's
> hard to beat.

	I remember when Don Marti was giving Evolution a try, and it
kept coercing his mails into strange weenie-isms.  I don't think it
could reliably list-reply or something.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end