[linux-elitists] GNOME terminal

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Jan 5 00:12:33 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> Well, been using GNOME for a day, so far, not too bad, although compared
> to rxvt, GNOME terminal is slow, I mean, annoyingly so. Not enough to say
> "enough" and shoot it in the head, but enough that it throws me off my
> stride when typing a message in SLRN (via vim) and then hit :wq y <gpg
> passphrase> in the quick cadence I am used to.
>
> That and text scrolls are slow too.
>
> Is there something I can do to speed those things up?

You might find that using a bitmap (which will be non-AA) font will speed it
up. The things that have affected the speed are client-side fonts, use of
xrender (it doesn't help with acceleration + is pretty unoptimised itself),
and UTF-8 + Pango layout.

Much of that is hard to avoid (necessary expense combined with unfinished
business), but infrastructural work happening at the moment will pick it up
significantly.

Whenever I build stuff (which is lots, considering GARNOME and release
stuff), I do it in screen. :-)

- Jeff

    "The only people still using Microsoft IIS are those who don't even
                     know it's there." - Larry Ellison