[linux-elitists] prelink

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Jan 4 23:55:56 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:35:20PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
>Jim Richardson wrote:
>> Dinking around with my Debian system, I stumble across prelink, which
>> claims to make things faster to load and run, tke less memory. All it
>> has to do, is grind away for a while each night, prelinking, or
>> something.
>>
>> Is it worth it? it sure takes a long time to crunch away, but this
>> system is IO bound, and this looks like a heavily IO dependend thing.
>
>You'll find all sorts of fun bugs. For example, if you prelink a running
>daemon, start-stop-daemon will generally refuse to stop it, as the
>binary has changed. md5sum checking tools will puke all over the place.
>Various programs will begin to crash (http://bugs.debian.org/prelink).
>And I never managed to find a measurable speedup in anything important
>(such as shell and perl).

I guess the thing to do, would be to startup things like OOffice, and
mozilla, several times, from fresh boots, with and without prelink, on
the same hardware.  But that sounds like a lot of work :)

I haven't noticed anything so far, except that it takes a while to
crunch through the cron job, which allways annoys me.

Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part.