[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sun Jan 4 09:37:52 PST 2004

<quote who="Lance Simmons">

> > Well, guide me along and I'll try to help you out, but I'm not sure I
> > have much interest in the "objective superiority" argument.
>
> The questions Jeremy raised about the status of usability studies would be
> worth addressing.  Several times you've referred to usability studies in
> ways that suggest you regard them as scientific.

I regard them as providing valuable, practical insights. Some are going to
be better than others, and perhaps approach "scientific". But doing them at
all is a hugely valuable exercise, particularly on a "*duh!*" level (when it
suddenly seems completely obvious that someone wouldn't understand a given
interaction). This is work that we've done, and taken into account in some
of our decision-making. That doesn't mean we have "scientific" belief in
them, or not analysed them with some skepticism. Read Sun's early usability
study results as an example:

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/usertesting.html

You're saying that I'm claiming "objective superiority" and regarding user
testing as "scientific" - maybe you're barking up the wrong tree. :-)

- Jeff

             "Laughter is a force for democracy." - John Cleese