[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 23:29:14 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:24:37PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> To be clear, it wasn't that it was hanging when I tried to print, I could
>> sort of undestand that, it was hanging when I fired up Gnumeric.  As you
>> can probably guess, I wasn't using the GNOME desktop, don't know if that
>> would have any effect or not.
>>
>> Doing a strace showed it hanging trying to contact the machine with the
>> printer, (that was 1200 miles away, and probably not on, let alone on a
>> non routable network in the first place. )
>
>AHA. Then that is 100% a bug, I should hope that it's obviously not by
>design, and it would be spurious at best to argue that this was "GNOME
>insisting that I work a particular way". Come on, big difference between a
>dumbarse bug [1] and a usability issue (yes, bugs affect usability, but I
>hope you grok my point).
>
>I think I can happily say "pfffft!" at this point and get away with it. Not
>that fixing your bug isn't important. :-)
>
>- Jeff
>
>[1] Jody, the Gnumeric maintainer, has an active interest in fixing printing
>problems because he was recently lumped with handling them generally. :-)

Yes, a bug does not a usability flaw make. (unless it's a feature)

In the interests of "fairness" I have fired up GNOME and am using it
now, with sawfish as the windowmanager. (I didn't pick it, that's what
came up when I selected gnome-session from the login greeter. )

I'll play with it for a week, and see how it works, hope that counts as
willing to provide "detailed feedback"

"We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't believe in
tolerance and free speech," - David Brin