[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 22:24:37 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> To be clear, it wasn't that it was hanging when I tried to print, I could
> sort of undestand that, it was hanging when I fired up Gnumeric.  As you
> can probably guess, I wasn't using the GNOME desktop, don't know if that
> would have any effect or not.
>
> Doing a strace showed it hanging trying to contact the machine with the
> printer, (that was 1200 miles away, and probably not on, let alone on a
> non routable network in the first place. )

AHA. Then that is 100% a bug, I should hope that it's obviously not by
design, and it would be spurious at best to argue that this was "GNOME
insisting that I work a particular way". Come on, big difference between a
dumbarse bug [1] and a usability issue (yes, bugs affect usability, but I
hope you grok my point).

I think I can happily say "pfffft!" at this point and get away with it. Not
that fixing your bug isn't important. :-)

- Jeff

[1] Jody, the Gnumeric maintainer, has an active interest in fixing printing
problems because he was recently lumped with handling them generally. :-)

   He'd never undressed a woman with his eyes. Perhaps army boots, school
                uniform, or a nightie, but never undressed.