[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 22:11:26 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 04:55:20PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> > What did libgnomeprint insist that you do in a specific way? Is there a
>> > lack of functionality there that should be addressed? Sounds like this
>> > is more of a bug/feature problem than anything to do with usability. Our
>> > printing stack is not top-notch at all right now.
>>
>> I allready wrote about the printing issue in question. I can repeat it if
>> you want.
>
>What you wrote about seemed to be a bug (not printing immediately, not
>handing back user interface control), not something that was forcing you to
>work in a particular way by design. That bug obviously needs to be lodged
>and fixed.
>
>So, I still don't get where you're coming from with the insistence stuff. I
>can ask about that again too, if you want. ;-)

The bug, simply prevented me from working, if the machine wasn't hooked
to the printer server it expected. That's pretty insistant. :) The
workaround. Was to remove network printing from the ken of GNOME. I
haven't put it back yet, so I don't know if the problem still exists, I
will probably tinker with it in the near future, just to be obnoxious.
:)

To be clear, it wasn't that it was hanging when I tried to print, I
could sort of undestand that, it was hanging when I fired up Gnumeric.
As you can probably guess, I wasn't using the GNOME desktop, don't know
if that would have any effect or not.

Doing a strace showed it hanging trying to contact the machine with the
printer, (that was 1200 miles away, and probably not on, let alone on a
non routable network in the first place. )

Market share leadership is a tenuous thing, Mr. Gates: ask IBM ;-)
	-- Laurent Szyster