[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 21:36:52 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> > > It wasn't just linking to a library, it was hanging, looking for a
> > > machine that wasn't there, and wasn't going to be there any time soon.
> > > That was broken.
> >
> > That sounds like a bug, not a reason to lose the dependency on
> > libgnomeprint
>
> A bug? I'll say.

Um, it's not like I said we'd never have bugs. These kinds of things ought
to be reported so they can be fixed. I'm not sure what else you'd expect.

> libgnomeprint is an example, if the guys who write the software say it's
> needed, then it's needed. The point being, that I use my machine in
> differing ways, and if the system insists that I only use it in a specific
> way, then I will probably have "issues".

What did libgnomeprint insist that you do in a specific way? Is there a lack
of functionality there that should be addressed? Sounds like this is more of
a bug/feature problem than anything to do with usability. Our printing stack
is not top-notch at all right now.

- Jeff

   "It's actually my new bandwidth conservation technique: compresion of
                     al double leters." - Telsa Gwynne