[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 21:29:38 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 04:05:50PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">

>> > Because other software links against it. Were we magically transported
>> > to CS101, or what?
>>
>> Nice smart ass answer. Too bad it missed the point.

>> It wasn't just linking to a library, it was hanging, looking for a machine
>> that wasn't there, and wasn't going to be there any time soon.  That was
>> broken.
>
>That sounds like a bug, not a reason to lose the dependency on libgnomeprint

A bug? I'll say.

>Hmm - are you under the impression that libgnomeprint has something to do
>with local printing only, and that network printing is different? That is
>not correct. libgnomeprint (while it needs a lot of love) is the part of the
>printing infrastructure in GNOME, regardless of where the printer itself
>sits.

libgnomeprint is an example, if the guys who write the software say it's
needed, then it's needed. The point being, that I use my machine in
differing ways, and if the system insists that I only use it in a
specific way, then I will probably have "issues". I don't know if
Gnumeric has the problem I mentioned still, I removed the print dæmon a
while back for other reasons, at the moment I don't print much from this
machine, and it's just as easy for me to do it via ssh as anything now.
But if I have the time this weekend, I can try and duplicate the
problem.

To err is human...to really foul up requires the root password.