Is GNOME > you? (was Re: [linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 21:18:12 PST 2004

<quote who="Jeff Waugh">

> I have enjoyed linux-elitists in the past, and had quite a lot of respect
> for its general cluefulness. I would like to help fix some of the 'assumed
> truths' propagated by some posters, and offer an insight into why we've
> done what we've done, and where we're going. What has surprised me greatly
> is the amount of direct abuse, rather than curiosity and investigation.

Hmm, also interesting to see that most of the discussion has focused on
"well fuck you, that's not what I'd do or want to use!" or "yes, i like and
use GNOME too", rather than "I don't agree that GNOME's usability strategy
for common computing users makes sense" or "hey, that sounds pretty cool for
my mum, but I'm going to stick with my windowmaker all the same".

More black and white here than greys, which is a bit of a bummer.

- Jeff

    "It's like having someone say to you, 'You should get back together
     with your first wife. You guys were good together'. It's not that
                  simple." - David Byrne on Talking Heads