[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 21:05:50 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> > > Agreed, can't please everyone, by the same token, a system with no
> > > connections to any printers, no printers connected, has exactly what
> > > need for libgnomeprint?
> >
> > Because other software links against it. Were we magically transported
> > to CS101, or what?
>
> Nice smart ass answer. Too bad it missed the point.

> It wasn't just linking to a library, it was hanging, looking for a machine
> that wasn't there, and wasn't going to be there any time soon.  That was
> broken.

That sounds like a bug, not a reason to lose the dependency on libgnomeprint

Hmm - are you under the impression that libgnomeprint has something to do
with local printing only, and that network printing is different? That is
not correct. libgnomeprint (while it needs a lot of love) is the part of the
printing infrastructure in GNOME, regardless of where the printer itself
sits.

- Jeff

     "If I can't be near you I would rather be adrift in space." - Neil
                          Finn, Try Whistling This