[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 20:59:36 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:41:20PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> >Much of this is changing as we purge Bonobo and rationalise the Developer
>> >Platform back down to GTK+. But, there will always be a lot of libraries
>> >used by GNOME software, and from our point of view, it makes sense to
>> >keep them separate. Some people have kittens over that, but you can't
>> >please everyone.
>>
>> Agreed, can't please everyone, by the same token, a system with no
>> connections to any printers, no printers connected, has exactly what need
>> for libgnomeprint?
>
>Because other software links against it. Were we magically transported to
>CS101, or what?

Nice smart ass answer. Too bad it missed the point.

In the case I am thinking of, I had Gnumeric, with a print dæmon
configured (I forget which one, probably cups) to print to another
machine. But, I wasn't on that network, so Gnumeric, would happily sit
there for a couple of minutes, waiting for the calls to that machine to
timeout, rather than pushing them into the background and letting me get
on with my work, you know, that was supposed to be the point. Me working
with the computer, instead of fighting it.

It wasn't just linking to a library, it was hanging, looking for a
machine that wasn't there, and wasn't going to be there any time soon.
That was broken.

Nothing says "loser" like "nymshifter".
chrisv in C.O.L.A