[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 20:49:42 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I tried a couple of things,
> but none worked. It was a deal breaker frankly.

Heh. Ah, so all those options that we're comfortable putting in the Terminal
because it's going to be used by power users... confused you? Ah ha ha. Ha.
Ahem.

The GNOME Terminal has profiles rather than a single set of preferences (as
we often log into different machines and want different appearance or
behaviour because terminal emulation is so lovingly broken all over the
place) so you just need to "Edit Current Profile..." and click off "Show
menubar by default in new terminals" on the first page.

> >Nautilus in 2.6 will be significantly faster, and work like the Classic
> >Mac OS finder (ie. spatial).
>
> Not sure what exactly that means, I had a mac clone for a couple of years,
> with MacOS 7.something, I replaced that with Linux on virtually day one,
> only used MacOS to play escape velocity.

John Siracusa's rant about the spatial Finder on Ars Technica:

  http://www.arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-1.html

> well, personally, I hate having umpty squat dozen dotfiles and dotdirs, in
> my $HOME root, I'd really like one .config dir, with everything below
> that. But that's obviously not going to happen without me doing a lot of
> coding myself.

It may happen in the future through some work at freedesktop.org, but we
would probably have to deal with compatibility concerns due to the exposed
interface in the current config dirs. I know it's messy (for anal retentive
wankeurs like you and I), but we're stuck with it right now.

> > Always getting faster. See previous mails about this on this list.
>
> speed is good. It was one of the things I liked about KDE3.x, it was
> faster than 2.x.

In some cases, so was GNOME.

- Jeff

             make: *** No rule to make target `whoopee'.  Stop.