[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 20:39:42 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> The problem I see with many useability studies, is that they study the
> first few hours of use for a new user, and ignore what happens after that.
> Now, I don't know if that's the case with the studies you mention, but
> that is the case with a bunch of them.

We cover theory and practical testing. I believe the Sun usability studies
are fairly thorough and time consuming. Plus, they get all kinds of data
back from their beta testing, which can be correlated with user testing
data.

> >Perhaps you need to hang around with people who don't care about computers
> >more often. (ha ha bonus troll points.)
>

> Whay I find interesting, is that there seems to be two threads to your
> position.
>
> 1) joe sixpack is the target, not leo propellorhead
>
> and
>
> 2) Don't complain, if you aren't a propellorhead who can explain how to
> do it better.
>

> which is a bit of a dichotomy.

Perhaps you missed some other parts of this thread. A reasoned and positive
approach with backup will get answers, if not results. Random abstract
accusations of wrong-headedness won't. You've already stated your reluctance
to provide specific feedback, so as far as I can tell, you're just enjoying
ill-informed whining.

- Jeff

   "I came for the quality, but I stayed for the freedom." - Sean Neakums