[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 20:29:34 PST 2004

<quote who="tek">

> > Unfortunately, this is just as bad as "Novice, Intermediate, Expert"
> > settings in that it's almost entirely unaccountable.
>
> So are you saying that having a Novice, Intermediate, Expert settings is a
> bad idea? If so why?

It totally hammers complexity, comprehension and support requirements. We've
already tried this with Nautilus and Sawfish, and it was a horrible mess.
Doing it dynamically is a consideration, but it's an active area of research
so probably not a useful thing for us to dip our feet in right now (it would
end up being as lame as the Windows menu-hiding feature, most likely).

See, the funny thing is... This is a just an "un-break me" option response
to user interface complexity! Instead of fixing the real problem (cognitive
overload due to programmers being shitscared of "policy", so putting all the
work onto users), you're just adding an option to get around it, and again
putting all the work onto users! It's a vicious cycle, and we're breaking it
the right way. :-)

- Jeff

                            Interplanetary Pants