[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 20:26:22 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:03:32PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jeremy Hankins">
>
>> Not gonna happen -- if by "back to Earth" you mean mired in minutiae.  I
>> really don't care about gnome, except as it's a focal point of some
>> wrong-headed and disturbing trends in UI.
>
>Hmm. We seem to be doing a rather large amount of hard work, research and
>(casual or formal) user testing to be saddled with "wrong-headed and
>disturbing". I'm inclined to believe this just really gets up your crack,
>and is not based on any serious research or practical application of current
>usability practice/theory. Oh, but perhaps all of those smacked up usability
>researchers are wrong, and you are right. There is that.
>
>But you are fully entitled to your interesting opinion.

The problem I see with many useability studies, is that they study the
first few hours of use for a new user, and ignore what happens after
that. Now, I don't know if that's the case with the studies you mention,
but that is the case with a bunch of them.

>> Any discussion about the particularities of gnome would be irrelevant.
>> And I wouldn't be able to participate effectively because I don't know
>> gnome.  No problem, because that's not a conversation I care about.  The
>> fact that you keep going back to "But users don't *_CARE_*" is what I find
>> interesting.
>
>Perhaps you need to hang around with people who don't care about computers
>more often. (ha ha bonus troll points.)

Whay I find interesting, is that there seems to be two threads to your
position.

1) joe sixpack is the target, not leo propellorhead

and

2) Don't complain, if you aren't a propellorhead who can explain how to
do it better.

which is a bit of a dichotomy.

The reason the Irish are always fighting each other
is they have no other worthy opponents.