[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 20:22:14 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:48:59PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> Slow:
>>
>> Maybe it's my config (Debian Sid on an Inspiron 8100) but GNOME took
>> forever to startup, and was quite sluggish in some operations. Now,
>> this is a 1GHz machine with 512MB of RAM, not exactly a candidate for
>> the scrap heap, but not the fastest system out there.
>
>Was that stuff actually loading, or the splash screen disappearing?
>There is an active bug about the splash screen hanging around
>unnecessarily at the moment. Yes, GTK+ 2.x is slower than 1.x
>(discussed here earlier), and there are quite a few areas we need to
>improve. I'm assuming you're using the 2.4 currently in sid.

hm, good question, I don't know for sure (re: splash screen hanging
around vs system not ready) Yes, it was the standard Sid stuff, I ride
the bleeding edge that is Sid, I have no need to hang further out with
CVS :)

>> GNOME terminal eats my keyboard inputs.
>>
>> Trying ctrlF in Mutt to forget pgp passphrase, or esc-1-k in slrn to
>> edit score file, caused GT to fnord out. Couldn't find where to turn
>> that off, or alter it, did poke a couple of buttons, and try to
>> change it, no go.
>
>Part of it is that you've gotta turn the menu off. Not a nice default
>for terminal users who actually do useful things. Not sure about your
>other ones. I'll raise this on the list; it got me when I set up a new
>box the other day too.

I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I tried a couple of things,
but none worked. It was a deal breaker frankly.

>> Nautilus is nice, but a bit bulky and slow.
>
>Nautilus in 2.6 will be significantly faster, and work like the Classic
>Mac OS finder (ie. spatial).

Not sure what exactly that means, I had a mac clone for a couple of
years, with MacOS 7.something, I replaced that with Linux on virtually
day one, only used MacOS to play escape velocity.

>> How many config dirs do you need?
>>
>> When I fired up GNOME (from the greeter) it started things off by
>> creating 3 diff .dirs, .gnome, .gnome2 and .gnome-private. Why?
>
>This is mostly due to an unfortunate mistake during 2.0, when everyone
>was oh so keen to add *2 to module names, config files, etc., etc.,
>etc. But hey, they're hidden, and most people won't go looking for
>them. I'd love to clean this up, but it is an exposed interface now.

well, personally, I hate having umpty squat dozen dotfiles and dotdirs,
in my $HOME root, I'd really like one .config dir, with everything below
that. But that's obviously not going to happen without me doing a lot of
coding myself.

>> Keep up the good work, I think it's better than it was a few months
>> ago.  But if it keeps getting slower, then I am not going to be
>> interested then either. I don't replace the hw I use just because the
>> sw gets slower, I replace it when it starts to break.
>
>Always getting faster. See previous mails about this on this list.

speed is good. It was one of the things I liked about KDE3.x, it was
faster than 2.x.

It just happens to be very selective about who its friends are.
	-- Kyle Hearn