[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 18:03:32 PST 2004

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> Not gonna happen -- if by "back to Earth" you mean mired in minutiae.  I
> really don't care about gnome, except as it's a focal point of some
> wrong-headed and disturbing trends in UI.

Hmm. We seem to be doing a rather large amount of hard work, research and
(casual or formal) user testing to be saddled with "wrong-headed and
disturbing". I'm inclined to believe this just really gets up your crack,
and is not based on any serious research or practical application of current
usability practice/theory. Oh, but perhaps all of those smacked up usability
researchers are wrong, and you are right. There is that.

But you are fully entitled to your interesting opinion.

> Any discussion about the particularities of gnome would be irrelevant.
> And I wouldn't be able to participate effectively because I don't know
> gnome.  No problem, because that's not a conversation I care about.  The
> fact that you keep going back to "But users don't *_CARE_*" is what I find
> interesting.

Perhaps you need to hang around with people who don't care about computers
more often. (ha ha bonus troll points.)

> But if you're only interested in trees there's no point in talking about
> forests.

Ah, I see. So I am cursed with lack of foresight! I can't see how devolved I
truly am because I can't break through to see the wisdom you take for
granted! Never mind the quest for everyman's acceptance and uptake of the
Free Software desktop - they are too stupid to understand! Woohoo! You're
right, all this self-centred cock-handling is totally where it's at.

- Jeff

     "Is your sense of identity inextricably bound to a large prime?" -
                               Michael Meeks