[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 17:53:50 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> KDE for example, has a dialog for "eye candy" which you can drag from fast
> to slow, and it selects and unselects options as it goes. That make sense.
> Having to click on each option off or on, just to slow down, or spruce up
> the machine, is silly, but not having the option to turn on (or off) a
> particular bit of candy that you either loath, or love, is annoying also.

Unfortunately, this is just as bad as "Novice, Intermediate, Expert"
settings in that it's almost entirely unaccountable. There's no reason why
*performance* features shouldn't "just work" either. You don't see an option
to choose between chunky and bilinear filtering in Panther's Expose... It
just works. There are some appearance features that *are* preferential, and
those are different.

> I hate how the few GNOME apps I use (Gnumeric mostly now, that's about it)
> like the few KDE apps I use (Kopete) drag 10 tonnes of other crap with
> them when I fire them up. Although Gnumeric at least, seems to have
> dropped a lot of that off recently. It actually starts up faster than it
> did a while back.

Much of this is changing as we purge Bonobo and rationalise the Developer
Platform back down to GTK+. But, there will always be a lot of libraries
used by GNOME software, and from our point of view, it makes sense to keep
them separate. Some people have kittens over that, but you can't please
everyone.

- Jeff

                          chown -R us:us yourbase